Select your language

Suggested languages for you:
Log In Start studying!
Answers without the blur. Sign up and see all textbooks for free! Illustration


Financial & Managerial Accounting
Found in: Page 79

Answers without the blur.

Just sign up for free and you're in.


Short Answer

If an incorrect amount is journalized and posted to the accounts, how should the error be corrected?

The incorrect amount can be located and corrected by making a reverse inspection of accounting records.

See the step by step solution

Step by Step Solution

Accounting errors

Accounting errors are the errors of recording and posting the transactions that affect the final accounts and provide inaccurate data for analysis.

Accounting errors can be – errors of commission, errors of omission, errors of compensation, etc.

Locating error

If any incorrect amount has been journalized and posted, it can be found out and corrected in the following way –

a) By verifying the trial balance column and locating any mismatch in total due to one-sided error in posting and maintaining accounts.

b) Verifying the account balances in the trial balance and in the ledger books.

c) By ensuring that the balance of the accounts has been listed on the correct side of the trial balance.

d) If the error is still unfound, re-compute each account balance.

e) The last step is to verify each and every recorded journal entry with the source document.

Most popular questions for Business-studies Textbooks


Want to see more solutions like these?

Sign up for free to discover our expert answers
Get Started - It’s free

Recommended explanations on Business-studies Textbooks

94% of StudySmarter users get better grades.

Sign up for free
94% of StudySmarter users get better grades.