Franchise Fee, Initial Down Payment) On January 1, 2017, Lesley Benjamin signed an agreement, covering 5 years, to operate as a franchisee of Campbell Inc. for an initial franchise fee of $50,000. The amount of $10,000 was paid when the agreement was signed, and the balance is payable in five annual payments of $8,000 each, beginning January 1, 2018. The agreement provides that the down payment is nonrefundable and that no future services are required of the franchisor once the franchise commences operations on April 1, 2017. Lesley Benjamin’s credit rating indicates that she can borrow money at 11% for a loan of this type.
(a) Prepare journal entries for Campbell for 2017-related revenue for this franchise arrangement.
(b) Prepare journal entries for Campbell for 2017-related revenue for this franchise arrangement, assuming that in addition to the franchise rights, Campbell also provides 1 year of operational consulting and training services, beginning on the signing date. These services have a value of $3,600.
(c) Repeat the requirements for part (a), assuming that Campbell must provide services to Benjamin throughout the franchise period to maintain the franchise value.
Franchise revenue = $39,567.
The franchisor authorizes the franchisee to operate a company, market, or distribute products or services that are similar to or linked to the franchisor's trademark. In exchange, the franchisee provides one-time or periodic payments to the franchisor in accordance with the franchise agreement's amount, terms, and conditions.
January 1, 2017
Note receivable a/c
Discount on note receivable a/c
Unearned franchise fee a/c
April 1, 2017
Unearned franchise revenue a/c
Franchise revenue a/c
December 31, 2017
Discount on notes receivable
Interest revenue a/c
Present value of installment at 11% for 4 years
(Determine Transaction Price) Blair Biotech enters into a licensing agreement with Pang Pharmaceutical for a drug under development. Blair will receive a payment of $10,000,000 if the drug receives regulatory approval. Based on prior experience in the drug-approval process, Blair determines it is 90% likely that the drug will gain approval and a 10% chance of denial.
(a) Determine the transaction price of the arrangement for Blair Biotech.
(b) Assuming that regulatory approval was granted on December 20, 2017, and that Blair received the payment from Pang on January 15, 2018, prepare the journal entries for Blair. The license meets the criteria for point-in-time revenue recognition.
Shaw Company sells goods that cost $300,000 to Ricard Company for $410,000 on January 2, 2017. The sales price includes an installation fee, which has a standalone selling price of $40,000. The standalone selling price of the goods is $370,000. The installation is considered a separate performance obligation and is expected to take 6 months to complete.
(b) Shaw prepares an income statement for the first quarter of 2017, ending on March 31, 2017 (installation was completed on June 18, 2017). How much revenue should Shaw recognize related to its sale to Ricard?
Kristin Company sells 300 units of its products for $20 each to Logan Inc. for cash. Kristin allows Logan to return any unused product within 30 days and receive a full refund. The cost of each product is $12. To determine the transaction price, Kristin decides that the approach that is most predictive of the amount of consideration to which it will be entitled is the probability-weighted amount. Using the probability-weighted amount, Kristin estimates that (1) 10 products will be returned and (2) the returned products are expected to be resold at a profit. Indicate the amount of (a) net sales, (b) estimated liability for refunds, and (c) cost of goods sold that Kristen should report in its financial statements (assume that none of the products have been returned at the financial statement date).
(Determine Transaction Price) Jeff Heun, president of Concrete Always, agrees to construct a concrete cart path at Dakota Golf Club. Concrete Always enters into a contract with Dakota to construct the path for $200,000. In addition, as part of the contract, a performance bonus of $40,000 will be paid based on the timing of completion. The performance bonus will be paid fully if completed by the agreed-upon date. The performance bonus decreases by $10,000 per week for every week beyond the agreed-upon completion date. Jeff has been involved in a number of contracts that had performance bonuses as part of the agreement in the past. As a result, he is fairly confident that he will receive a good portion of the performance bonus. Jeff estimates, given the constraints of his schedule related to other jobs , that there is 55% probability that he will complete the project on time, a 30% probability that he will be 1 week late, and a 15% probability that he will be 2 weeks late.
(a) Determine the transaction price that Concrete Always should compute for this agreement.
(b) Assume that Jeff Heun has reviewed his work schedule and decided that it makes sense to complete this project on time. Assuming that he now believes that the probability for completing the project on time is 90% and otherwise it will be finished 1 week late, determine the transaction price.
Manual Company sells goods to Nolan Company during 2017. It offers Nolan the following rebates based on total sales to Nolan. If total sales to Nolan are 10,000 units, it will grant a rebate of 2%. If it sells up to 20,000 units, it will grant a rebate of 4%. If it sells up to 30,000 units, it will grant a rebate of 6%. In the first quarter of the year, Manual sells 11,000 units to Nolan at a sales price of $110,000. Manual, based on past experience, has sold over 40,000 units to Nolan, and these sales normally take place in the third quarter of the year. What amount of revenue should Manual report for the sale of the 11,000 units in the first quarter of the year?
94% of StudySmarter users get better grades.Sign up for free